Bitter Gourd Juice is considered a great refreshing drink because Bitter gourd (Karela) is a very beneficial vegetable. It is widely cultivated and consumed in all parts of India. This vegetable has got a distinct flavor and appearance. It is narrow and pointed on both sides, and has rough spikes all over the skin. Despite of its amazing nutritional composition, its bitter-pungent taste makes it less appealing to people.
Bitter gourd possesses remarkable blood-purifying and antiseptic properties. In Ayurveda, the juice of bitter gourd is considered to be a miraculous tonic to boost your immunity mechanism, manage insulin levels, and cleanse the liver. Let us tell you some impressive benefits that you can get by making it an inclusion in your daily diet. (1)
Nutritional composition of Bitter Gourd
This dark green vegetable bitter gourd has around 84-90 percent of water in it. It is a superfood that is loadeda with potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, iron, zinc, and calcium that makes it helpful in the treatment of a wide range of health ailments.
The presence of folate in this vegetable promotes sound growth and development in the body. A cup of this vegetable provides only twenty calories, four grams of carbs, and plenty of dietary fibers (8% of daily fiber needs). This makes it an excellent weight reduction tool. (2)
How to Make Bitter Gourd juice
- To prepare bitter gourd juice, you need to peel it using a knife. Now slice it from the middle.
- Remove the seeds and white flesh of the vegetable.
- Cut the vegetable into tiny pieces. Soak them in cold water for thirty minutes.
- Add all the pieces into a blender and add half a teaspoon of lemon juice, and salt. Blend all these ingredients properly.
- You can add some jaggery or honey to it to reduce its bitterness. The addition of pears or apple juice is also beneficial.
- Finally, sprinkle some ginger and black pepper to reduce its tartness and enhance its flavor.
Benefits of Bitter Gourd Juice
Reduce blood sugar levels
Bitter gourd is touted for its ability to lower high levels of blood sugar in the body. Due to this reason, it is extensively used in the management of diabetes. After consuming the juice daily for four weeks, you will observe that your blood sugar levels are stabilized.
This vegetable works by enhancing the manner in which the sugar is used in the tissues of the body. It helps in the secretion of insulin hormone that aids in the regulation of blood sugar levels in the body. (3)
Makes Insulin active
Freshly prepared juice of bitter gourd is a natural and effective treatment for diabetes. This is another very important benefit of consuming this juice. It contains Polypeptide-p or p-insulin that works in the same way as insulin works in the body.
In this way, bitter melon provides more amount of Insulin available in the body and aids in the treatment of diabetes. It makes your Insulin active that helps in the right utilization of blood sugar, and prevents its conversion into fat that, in turn, leads to weight loss in the body.
Aids in weight loss
Drinking bitter gourd as the first thing in the morning can help reduce excess body weight. This is due to the high amounts of soluble fibers, low calories, and carb content in it. The high-water content in the vegetable keeps you fuller for a longer time. It reduces hunger and appetite in a person.
Hydrates the body
This juice is one of the best beverages to relish in the summer season. One cup of this juice has around 85% of water and vitamins and minerals in it. Due to this high-water concentration, it keeps you hydrated throughout the day. It is one of the best drinks to get respite in the summer season. Due to its nutritional composition, bitter gourd is superior than all other vegetable juices. (4)
Brings a natural glow to your skin
Bitter gourd juice has a large concentration of vitamin C that is a potent antioxidant. Regular consumption of this juice benefits your skin in numerous ways. It aids in the prevention of premature ageing of the skin, reduces fine lines, and brings a glow to your face.
Reduces LDL cholesterol levels
High levels of bad cholesterol or LDL cholesterol causes deposition of fatty plaque in the arteries. It forces the heart to work with more effort to pump blood. Prolonged conditions can lead to a heart attack. Bitter melon has an abundance of anti-inflammatory attributes that aids in reducing the bad levels of cholesterol in the body. It considerably lowers the chances of stroke and heart attack in the person.
Not many know that bitter gourd is also beneficial for the eyes. It is loaded with vitamin A and beta carotene that are healthy for eyes. If you drink the juice daily, you will see an improvement in your eyesight.
May help fight cancers
Another advantage of bitter gourd is that it has specific compounds in it that shows cancer-fighting properties. This juice has good amounts of nutrients that hinder the development and spreading of breast cancer cells in the body. In this way, it also leads to the death of cancer cells in the body. In addition to breast cancer, bitter gourd juice is helpful in the cure of lung, colon, and stomach cancer in the body. (5)
7 Ways to consume Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd is a versatile and delicious vegetable. It is easy to prepare and can be used in several dishes and recipes. Some of the simple and easy ways to eat bitter gourd are as follows:
- You can enjoy it in raw form in the form of a Bitter Gourd Juice or by adding it to your dishes. Drinking raw bitter melon juice on an empty stomach in the morning is proven to give you a wide range of health benefits. To reduce the bitterness of the juice, you can even add fruit and vegetable juices in it to make it even healthier and nutritious. This juice is highly effective in managing blood sugar levels and reduces excess body weight naturally.
- Bitter gourd can also be baked, pan-fried, or steamed.
- They can be hollowed and filled with different types of delectable stuffing.
- Another way to cook it is to sauté it with other vegetables like tomatoes, onions, and garlic and add this mixture to scrambled eggs.
- Bitter gourd can also be enjoyed in the form of salad. All you need is to deseed, peel, and slice the vegetable and add it to your salad. A dressing of olive oil and your choice of spices and sauces will add more flavor to the salad.
- You can also stuff the vegetable with crushed meat and vegetables and serve it with your choice of sauce.
- Bitters taste amazing when added to stews and gravies. You can slice them and form thin chips.
Bitter Guard Juice Side effects
Bitter gourd exhibits exemplary properties to reduce blood sugar levels in the body. People who are on blood sugar lowering medication need to consult their doctor before they consume bitter gourd in any form. This is very important because low levels of blood sugar can cause discomforting symptoms in the body.
Bitter gourd is not advised to pregnant women. Also, if you have any type of health condition, then you must talk to your doctor before you incorporate it into your diet. (6)
Should you drink Bitter Guard Juice
Bitter melon is an amazing fruit that belongs to the gourd family. It is not just packed with several beneficial nutrients but also associated with several health advantages that include the management of blood sugar and cholesterol in the body. When eaten in moderation, bitter gourd makes a healthy, nutritious, and flavourful addition to your well-rounded diet.